[meteorite-list] When is a fall...?

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:12:14 -0600

Hi all,

I considered this question from the other side once. Back in March of
2005, my Accretion Desk Column in the Meteorite Times was titled "
Find2Fall: When a Meteorite Find Becomes a Meteorite Fall.

It seem that there remains just a hint of a chance that in many falls,
the recovered specimen might not be from the witnessed fall. Unlikely,
but not non-zero especially since many stones are recovered days or
even weeks later.

Certainly it seem improbable that the phenomena of a fall would occur
over the location of another recent fall but it could happen.

But back to my point. In my article I highlight some examples where
for various reasons, it seemed funny to me to continue considering the
meteorite a find just because no witness came forward and reported the
fall.

Anyway, here's the link to the article.

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2005/March/Accretion_Desk.htm

Best,