[meteorite-list] When is a fall...?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 23:08:24 -0600

Another type of fall not mentioned, but which I think is certainly a "fall",
is where the meteorite is observed to hit the ground, but no fireball was
witnessed. I know this has happened for daylight falls, and presumably for
evening falls as well. It is probable that most meteorites are not preceded
by particularly impressive fireballs.

Personally I'd consider any meteorite where the fireball was recorded, even
if not directly witnessed, to be a "fall". But I'm a little biased in that
respect. After all, I collect fireballs but not meteorites <g>.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com