[meteorite-list] Buzzard Coulee Spring Hunt

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2009 20:11:41 UT

Roman wrote:

"The Buzzard Coulee spring hunt was great, see photos at this link.
Also some specimens available for sale. Found almost 60 stones!"

Boy, for heaven's sake, what a harvest! Sincere congrats! I am the
proud owner of a particularly fresh B.C. specimen (21.75 gr) from
Roman that came with the *official export permit* paper and that,
of course, makes it a very special witnessed and documented fall.

It has about 85% fusion crust, a light gray matrix. Its fresh, black fusion crust
has a metallic luster and is covered with shallow thumbprints on one side and
one surface has numerous small piezoglypts. The matrix shows abundant FeS
(troilite) and I can locate numerous small, whitish, crystalline chondrules but
also some relatively large ones.

"Buzzard Coulee" may have been a "Lone Rock" but it's no longer
a "lonely" one with all its H4 brethren (27) in my collection ;-)

Best from late spring
Southern Germany,

Bernd