[meteorite-list] Crash Boom Bang: City Killers & 2008 TC3

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:47:04 -0600

I expect when they said objects 6 feet across don't make it to the ground,
they meant they don't make it to the ground carrying cosmic velocity. There
doesn't seem to be any obvious limit on the size of parent body that can
produce meteorites; that depends on the dynamics of the object in the
atmosphere.

Calculations suggest that an object needs to be 8-10 meters across to make
it to the ground still carrying some of its original velocity. No doubt
there's some variation there, depending on composition and dynamics, but the
estimate is probably a reasonable generalization.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com