[meteorite-list] Meteorite Survey - Just for Fun

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:07:36 -0500

Here is a pointless survey that serves no real purpose. But, it can
be fun to see what other collectors think about meteorites, so please
feel free to answer the survey questions and share them with the list.
 The questions in this survey are listed here first, and my own
answers are shown at the end.

:)

SURVEY QUESTIONS :

1) How many meteorite localities in your collection? (not counting
tektites, impactites, etc)

2) How many tektite or impactites localities in your collection?

3) Do you sell specimens on the side to offset your collecting costs?
Or, do you purchase only?

4) Which collecting paradigm do you identify with the most? -
Meteorites 1.0 or Meteorites 2.0 ?

5) Do you display your specimens out in the open where others can see,
or do you keep them stored in a locked cabinet, container, safe, etc?

6) Do you trade specimens with other collectors on occasion?

7) If you are a meteorite "dealer", do you have a personal collection
that is seperate from your sales inventory? In other words, do you
have pieces that are keepers and are not for sale, or does everything
in your collection have a price on it?

8) Did you personally find any of the specimens in your collection?

9) Do you regularly make time to go out and hunt/prospect for meteorites?

10) Is your collection insured?

Bonus question : If you could pick any 3 meteorite specimens in the
world to add to your collection, what would they be?

MY ANSWERS -

1) How many meteorite localities in your collection? (not counting
tektites, impactites, etc)

85

2) How many tektite or impactites localities in your collection?

12

3) Do you sell specimens on the side to offset your collecting costs?
Or, do you purchase only?

Yes, I buy and sell.

4) Which collecting paradigm do you identify with the most? -
Meteorites 1.0 or Meteorites 2.0 ?

I am a child of Meteorites 2.0, but I yearn for the 1.0 days I missed out on.

5) Do you display your specimens out in the open where others can see,
or do you keep them stored in a locked cabinet, container, safe, etc?

95% out in the open on display. (displayed in dessicated containers
such as acrylic cubes and Rikers)

6) Do you trade specimens with other collectors on occasion?

Yes.

7) If you are a meteorite "dealer", do you have a personal collection
that is seperate from your sales inventory? In other words, do you
have pieces that are keepers and are not for sale, or does everything
in your collection have a price on it?

Yes, I have a personal stash of pieces that are not for sale - no matter what.

8) Did you personally find any of the specimens in your collection?

No, not yet. ;)

9) Do you regularly make time to go out and hunt/prospect for meteorites?

Not yet, but soon.

10) Is your collection insured?

Not yet, but it's getting to that point where I am starting to think about it.

Bonus question : If you could pick any 3 meteorite specimens in the
world to add to your collection, what would they be?

1) The Lafayette Nakhlite mass.

2) Large, etched, thin-cut slice of pallasite with gem quality
olivines - maybe Imilac, Esquel, or something similar, about the size
of a coffee table.

3) The third one I am not sure about, I'll have to think about it longer. ;)

--
Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.