[meteorite-list] Mineral Luster in Achondites

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:11:36 -0700

All:

I have a question to the List: this is based on a number of meteorites I have purchased, which include the achondrites. I have noticed that the mineral components (Olivine, Pyroxene and other crystals) in some of my achondrites have a very adamantine luster in the mineral components. When I compare them to other 'earth' rocks, the luster is not the same. To me there is a stricking difference.

Has anyone else noticed this?

If so, could this perhaps aid in spotting an achondrite (some kinds) that have undergone weathering and have no fusion crust. I have found many chondrites, and feel that there could be achondrites out there too, but they are being overlooked.

If the luster is different in 'space rocks' then what could cause this?

Much Thanks,

Greg S.