[meteorite-list] Ben Bova riffs with "what ifs"

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 01:25:42 -0700

Darren,
        I could not agree more. This is an excellent example of two or
Three factors (at least).
1) Senators, Congress and the Executive branches of government
        a. Do NOT understand economics worth a damn.
        b. Are more often than not following ONLY the "first rule"
            Of elected office: get yourself re-elected.
        c. Senators and Congress persons, when not exclusively following
            #b above are concentrated on ONLY THEIR STATE and not the
            well being of the country.
        d. In addition to the above, most are also obsessed with gaining
            personal wealth and power.
2) The American people are equally or more so ignorant of economics
And are blind to the influence that 12 or so years of the moon race
Yielded for this country - and not just the "conveniences" but a PROFOUND
Influence on our economy.
3) Politicians - particularly those who occupy the seat of the President,
Tend to look almost exclusively at the next 4 years - or 8 if they are a
"visionary" (or confident in being re elected) and do not want to "rock the
Boat" by shattering the ignorance of their colleagues and definitely not
Of their voters.
        We saw it when Clinton settled for "Don't ask, don't tell" and for
"only" half the old forest being logged.
        Now, when we need an 80 t0 90% shift to renewable power and the
economic stimulus & job creation that would implement it instead we get a
limp wristed, "20% shift in the next 10 years!" That is like trying to put
out a forest fire by getting everyone to join the fire department and piss
on the fire.
        We saw it with nearly every president we have ever had. Kennedy
Was bold and led where we NEEDED to go - not where we thought we
Wanted to go. Teddy Roosevelt nearly single handedly established ALL
The national parks - AND created a country (Panama) and built the
Panama Canal (not that I condone Imperialism - but it was insane for
Reagan to "give the canal back.") Harry Truman personally wrote a ton of
letters responding to average Americans who wrote him - and used
stamps he bought, himself to post them. He met with people in power who
"demanded" things be done that were not in the overall interest of the
country and told them to go to hell - of course, that was a primary reason
he was not re-elected. After office, he refused to take numerous very high
paying positions offered him, stating, "You don't want me. You want an
American President, and the Presidency is not for sale!" I wonder if we will
ever see that kind of integrity ever again.
        I wouldn't hold my breath on a meaningful space program. The
"people" are too ignorant to call for it and the "leadership" is lacking
In leadership.
        Too bad.
        Best wishes, Michael