[meteorite-list] impactacite question.

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 20:48:53 EDT

Hi List, About a year ago I posted the list for some of you to view an
interesting breccia I had found. Several people took a look at my photos and
agreed the stuff was quite interesting but no conclusions were drawn.

Does any one want to look at some pics and tell me if this material is a
possible impactacite and, who I could send a sample to?

A year ago I had found only two stones and no more. Since then the state
has started a highway widening project fronting my land and they are moving
a couple million cubic yards out of a hill side and spreading in on low
spots (some on my land). This has opened up acres of pool table smooth fresh
digs to look over. (While dodging the earth moving equipment!) I have
found many more samples. I am wondering if it is worth the effort to look for
more.

About 14 thousand years ago Lake Bonneville drained through the valley
here and deposited quite a variety of materials all the way from Utah. This
breccia is found down low in the valley and I can not find any on the
exposed canyon walls or up on the shelf. This leads me to think it was deposited
in the Great Bonneville Wash Out.

I know this sounds crazy, but have there been any theories of Lake
Bonneville (The Great Salt Lake) having an impact origin???

Email me to view a few pics and share your opinion.

Thanks, Tom Phillips

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)