[meteorite-list] Kem-Kem was never the generic for NWA

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 21:52:44 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Brian and List,
  Brian your are incorrect in your history lesson.
  Michael Casper announced in his December 1999 catalogue that "a new find out of Morocco- Kem-Kem" was "Found in August, 1999. Stone. Classification pending. Kem Kem, Dahara, Morocco". Casper`s catalogue lists:
22.4g _at_ $44.80;
26.9g_at_ $53.80
31.5g_at_ $63.00
33.5g_at_ $67.00
41.0g_at_ $82.00
46.8g_at_ $93.60
53.2g_at_ $106.40
58.6g_at_ $117.20
67.4g_at_ $134.80
70.0g_at_ $140.00
83.1g_at_ $166.20
114.9g_at_ $229.80
153.6g_at_ $307.20

In the same catalogue, he (Casper) has a multi-kilo piece photographed, which I purchased. Kem-Kem was NOT a catch-all term for the meteorites of NWA (Moroc/Algeria) at the time, as you wrote.

  So please do not confuse the messy history of the NWAs by INCORRECTLY calling Kem-Kem the orginal generic name before NWAs.

  I was in Morocco in December 2000- January 2001 for six weeks and at Kem-Kem prior/during the sale of NWA482 in the year of the planetary alignment and eclipse... there were UK-Euro-hippies by the busloads for the huge festival and arrested development.
The only great "hunter" that I ran into while I was there was Dean Bessey in his Fiat at Merzouga (he dismounted his for shade); prior to Bessey Specks perhaps not?

Missed seeing Mike Farmer, Strope and others; but, I did spot a mad German or Austrian at the petrol stop during the heat of the day. Also missed the Great Habibi!

When in Erfoud don`t miss out on the daily variety of Targine beef, mutton or chicken and 30 glasses of mint tea.

  At the end of six weeks of wearing Berber you will be blue...Idir met Idir et Kem-Kem! Truly an awesome experience to be at Kem-Kem at SunSet on top of a tall hill and watch the winter shadows fall.

  Forget the Berber Shave and stick with Burma Shave if you are searchingforfun.

  Best Regards, Dirk Ross...Tokyo