[meteorite-list] The Fed Ex accident video.

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:45:56 -0400 (EDT)

Dear List,

Just this once...I'm posting an un-related eMail I sent to Michale Farmer regarding the horrific aircraft accident video he posted. I know that many misconceptions about why aircraft crash spread unwarranted fear of flying. Many of the List flly often in their pursuit of the rocks. Knowing "why" this happened might be helpful.

Hi Michael,

The List is what it is..and for....meteoritic information only!

I'm new to the List, but I'm not to aircraft and the inherent dangers in their operation. I was Director of Aviation Facilities for Howard Hughes and still hold an Airline Transport Pilot's license with ratings in multi-engine land and sea planes and rotorcraft. For many years I was a member of AI teams with the NTSB specializing in reconstructing aircraft accidents. I mention this only because you might be interested in knowing what the probable cause of this incident was determined to be.

Note that the surface wind (look at the post impact smoke) was strong and gusty and right down the runway. A head wind. The aircraft was heavy. The runway length just within operating parameters. This, if under no head wind conditions, called for a slow indicated approach speed. The crew followed this "bug" speed in error not allowing for the vagarities of the headwind. The wind calmed (sheared) and the aircraft lost lift just short of touchdown flare...it entered an irrecoverable aerodynamic stall. Adding power at that low altitude didn't help as the sircraft departed controlled flight before the turbines could "spool up" and generate thrust to add airspeed. The nose dropped as the elevator was no longer aerodynamically effective and they struck hard on the nose wheel, collapsing the cockpit floor, and over stressing the whole airframe. The left wing main spar and attach points failed and that wing folded. The right wing maintained it's integrity and continued to develop enough lift to roll the airframe inv
erted. It ws a non- survivable accident due to g-induced physical loads, blunt force injuries, smoke inhalation and burns.

I hadn't seen this complete video posting before, so I owe you a sort of " left handed " compliment. I enjoy all of your postings and I respect your consumate knowledge of things extraterrestial.

Regards,

Guido...Count Deiro