[meteorite-list] Space based detection

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bernd, Mike, Richard -

Bernd - Saw the S&T cover, but from your summary it looks like they missed the best site - Ken Tankersley's Sheriden Cave - an inch of impactites, the bones of blast killed mega-fauna, and clovis tools. Given Ken's heart attack, and NASA and USGS's lack of funding, this is no surprise. It also looks like S&T missed the Kiscoty, Alberta structure. And hell, no promo in the piece for my own "Man and Impact in the Americas". Oh well, Firestone's
injection mechanism for this one does not upset Morrison et al, so that pretty much explains it - along with the mass of hard evidence.

Me, I'm still waiting for someone (ahem) to offer Hibben an apology.

Mike, putting 50 or so people on Mars is not answer to saving the lives of anywhere from 60,000,000 (the next impact mega-tsunami) to 6,000,000,000
for the next ELE. If we get a tunguska class on a city we get around 10,000,000 dead, on a nuke plant maybe what 20,000,000 homeless, one tiggering a nuclear exchange, say maybe 1,000,000,000-2,000,000,000.

In addition, we've got less than 13 years to get on top of the Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 debris train, and someone needs to get a memo on it to Bolden and Garver.

Richard, we can handle a long period comet with nuclear charges, if it comes down to it, but diversion by ablation would be better.

The problem is finding these things early, and my opinion is that CAPS is the answer for both.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas
(While some people have told me its a great book, I'm still broke.
Anyone care to gift me with a little Campo de Cielo or Brenham?)