[meteorite-list] The Scoop on "Kem Kem"

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:54:42 +0200

The "Lahmada" stones, found in Western Sahara in 1998 and 1999,
were some of the last ones to get official Non-NWA names from
the NomCom, before there was an agreement on the new Northwest
Africa (NWA) designation. In fact, Lahmada 002 - 018 are still
valid official names, while Lahmada 022 - 032 were synonyms for
NWA 035 - 045 respectively.

At least the first Lahmada stones also had distinct geographical
find coordinates submitted to the NomCom. Some of the stones were
later considered to be probably paired.

PS: on a more personal side, I hold the main mass of Lahmada 007,
a pretty fresh stone of 603.7 g (from a TKW of 620.6 g), which
is fun to know it is one of the few last ones to get a Non-NWA
name before the big NWA-rush began. This makes it a bit special
for me, though it is nothing but a common H5 meteorite by class. :-)

Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------