[meteorite-list] Elliott Collection Sale Results

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:10:57 -0400

Greetings:

What John just mentioned about sticking to a limit prior to an auction
is some of the very best advice you will ever receive as it regards
the auction environment. Do not compete with others---stick to the
number you've determined that works for you.

In the same spirit, here is another bit of advice: do not be daunted
by high estimates. So often I've heard friends mention "I can't
believe so-and-so went for so little." Take the trouble of putting in
a low bid, you might just have snagged an unbelievable bargain.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. All best / Darryl

On Aug 19, 2009, at 11:27 AM, John Gwilliam wrote:

> This is very typical of auctions for just about anything, it is not
> unique to meteorites. I've been to antique auctions where high
> priced items got passed over while low end things got fought over.
> Same is true for horses and cattle (which I have personal knowledge
> of).
>
> Next time you bid at an auction, especially a live one, pay
> attention to what goes on inside your head. Most people have a
> "limit" of how much they will bid per increment and also what price
> they will drop out. However, it's easy to get sucked into bidding
> $10 or $20 or $50 more than you your original plan. It's easy to
> "twenty dollar yourself to death" at auctions. In my opinion, it's
> easier to justify bidding on twenty $50 items rather than one $1,000
> item even though they have the same total value. Auction bidding
> can get addictive.
>
> Best,
>
> John Gwilliam

Depth of Field Management | 1501 Broadway Suite 1304 | New York,
New York 10036 | 212.302.9200