[meteorite-list] I Thought this was Funny

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:19:17 -0400

Hi Gary,

Now I remember one of the stones you inquired about. Here is part of the
description from our old eBay description of El Hammami:

"El Hammami, Very fresh H5/6 - from Mauritania, Africa, that fell August
10, 1997. This specimen came from the freshest example of this witnessed
fall I have seen in years. The nomads who found the stones broke most of
them looking for treasure inside not realizing they were holding the actual
treasure. Some others were broken into smaller pieces for easier
transport."

I remember one of my very earliest trips to the Sahara to purchase
meteorites from nomads. We were presented with a large ~7kg broken El
Hammami stone where the crust looked "weird". Turns out the fusion crust was
discolored by camel sweat and the orange dust of the sands from many
kilometers to transport this stone to the 'market' in Morocco! I probably
have some archived photos that I will share if I am able to find them
easily, still have unpacked boxes from moving two years ago (which are still
unpacked from moving to Florida five years ago!)

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection