[meteorite-list] Beware of Steve Arnold Chicago Ebay scams part 3+

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:54:24 -0700

Hi listees,

I probably shouldn't respond to this. But it is related to meteorites.
This is NOT an attack on anyone, but rather something to add a little
perspective to the situation.

I too have spoken with Dirk on many occasions and find him a rather
interesting guy to speak with. He's always polite and professional and I
respect him, his site, and what he has contributed to the meteorite
community. However I have to disagree (in a respectful way) with the use
of the words scam, and fraud in this case. These are libelous words if
no proof exists, and can be considered real accusations of fraud. Legal
issues could come of this.

Canceling an auction when it has bids is NOT a legal issue, though it
may be unethical IF the only reason is to sell to another person off of
Ebay. Which is a breach of Ebay policy and violation of Ebay's TOS
(Terms of Service).

However... Even though it is against Ebay policy, it's NOT against the
law. To throw around words like scam and fraud is dangerous in this
circumstance. Even habitual canceling of auctions may not be illegal.
Certainly unethical, but illegal? I don't know.

Let me give you a scenario. Let's say you're seller, and you list an
item for sale. It gets a few bids and you're excited to sell it. Then in
your excitement as you're moving stuff around your office or store you
accidentally break the item! Ooops! Now what? You immediately send out
an email to the persons bidding notifying them of the problem right?
NOPE! Ebay doesn't allow you to contact bidders (unless of course they
are a previous customer). Now you're in a pickle. What to do? Is it
fraud if you end your auction even though you have bids? If you think it
is then you need not be on Ebay because you don't know how Ebay works.
Again, no offense... Ebay is NOT the law, it's a website that people
sell on. Simple as that.

I'm not saying this to defend Steve, but rather to point out that the
libelous words used are inappropriate for this circumstance. Simply
canceling an auction is not grounds for the words used unless you have
proof. A link to an auction that has had canceled bids is NOT proof of
anything other than an ended auction.

I certainly hope I do not lose business because of this post, if so then
those who would not purchase from me for such reasons, well, let's just
say I would rather not have them as customers anyway. No offense...

I have no problems with Steve personally or business wise. Steve has
NEVER scammed or conned me out of anything EVER. If he had I would never
do business with him again. He has been a good customer since I've been
selling meteorites, as have many of you.

Sometimes people confuse Ebay with the law, and this infuriates me as a
seller. It's something I'm obviously passionate about because I've been
selling for so long, but what really irks me is that people assume that
because Ebay says it's so, then it's gospel. Ebay sucks for sellers!
Everyone who sells on Ebay knows that. Their fees are outrageously
expensive and equates to 15% to 25% of your gross sales. The only reason
we use Ebay at all is for the reach. The sheer advertising power is
phenomenal. You can reach millions of potential customers for pennies.
THAT'S why Ebay is so popular. Oh, and because you can find really good
deals on cool stuff like meteorites too... ;)

The point to this post is not that I'm attacking or defending anyone but
rather pointing out that there are valid reasons for sellers to cancel
an auction. Maybe you listed an item and it got stolen, or broken, or
you relisted it by accident (this might happen to a larger seller who
lists hundreds or thousands of items per month). Maybe it was a grilled
cheese sandwich with Jesus on it and your dog ate it!

Thanks for reading this very long post. I promise my next one won't be
as long... ;)

Regards,
Eric