[meteorite-list] "Must See" Meteorite Collections

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:16:15 -0500

Hi Richard,

The finest and the world's largest non-government meteorite collection is
right here in the Midwest, in Chicago, literally, in my back yard where I am
a member and a friend of members of the staff. The Field Museum of Natural
History. Here below is the link to The Field's Meteorite Catalogue with a
photo of the lovely Dr. Meenakshi Wadhwa who is no longer with The Field.
This is an outdated photo since Dr. Wadhwa left two and a half years ago to
be the Curator at Arizona State University. This is only a portion of The
Field's collection online since it is outdated since now they have added the
famous DuPont Collection from the famous James M. DuPont of Watchung, Jew
Jersey, which includes 1,700 meteorites from The Planetary Studies
Foundation of Galena, Illinois, and this has been added to The Fields
existing collection of over 2,000 meteorites which is now at The Field in
storage.

 The Field received gifts of funding and meteorites of over $10 million. I
attended the ceremony of the dedication of The Robert A. Pritzker Center for
Meteoritics and Polar Studies, earlier this year on April 18, 2009 where
retired Colonel J.N. Pritzker founder and president of the Chicago-based
Tawani Foundation presented The Field with a gift of $7.3 million in honor
of his father, Robert Pritzker. I have a photo of that, but forget how to
put that into photobucket to show all of you, but it's just a photo of the
Pritzkers on the stage and a ribbon cutting ceremony.

You can still get a very clear view of the massive collection here and I'm
sure they are working on updating this collection but with time and the
economy personnel are short in getting this information online.

Here is the link to the catalogue
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/research_collections/geology/meteor_col.pdf and
the main link to The Field is http://www.fieldmuseum.org/ and here is the
address and phone number.

The Field Museum, All Rights Reserved
1400 S. Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL 60605-2496
312.922.9410

I hope this helps with your GPS addition.

Sincerely,

Brian Cox

IMCA # 6387

Searchingforfun is my ebay User Id