[meteorite-list] "Must See" Meteorite Collections?

From: Peter Scherff <peterscherff_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:11:42 -0400

Hi Richard,

        I would start with MetBase http://www.metbase.de/home.html It lists
hundreds of collections.

Thanks,

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com
[mailto:meteorite-list-bounces at meteoritecentral.com] On Behalf Of Richard
Kowalski
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:42 PM
To: meteorite list
Subject: [meteorite-list] "Must See" Meteorite Collections?

I'm wondering if anyone has or know where I can obtain a list of public
meteorite collections that are spectacular, or have individual meteorite
specimens on display that should not be missed?

I'd like to build a POI file for use in GPS units to make it easier to find
these collections when I'm out traveling. As with most people, time is tight
when I travel, so I'd limit the ones included to the collections that show
off the best of the best. Lesser collections that only have common examples
shouldn't be included unless they have extraordinary examples of common
specimens.

I was going to limit the list to those in the US, but I'll open it up to
collections around the world.

Basically I need the institution and the city and country, but the more
information included the better. The best would have all the following.

Name
Address
City
County
Long & Lat
website url
Important specimens on display

I'm sure that's asking too much for a list that has already been made, but I
might as well ask for everything I need here to save time.

If no one has a list of collections, I'll ask for suggestions individually
so they can be combined into the final files.

I'll be building the file in Google Earth, so if it is easier for you, feel
free to send me the information as GE placemarks, or you can email me the
location using the Google Maps "Send" feature.

When I've got a working version, I'll upload the resulting files as both a
Google Earth KMZ file and as a GPX file that is readable by most GPS units
so others can use it too.

Thanks!

--
Richard Kowalski