[meteorite-list] SETS: The Search for Extra-terrestrial Stupidity- changed to Hibben by EPG

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:36:30 -0700 (PDT)

Ed,
? Your arguments always overlook hard evidence, ...

"For example, in 1946 he described a site at Chitna Bay in Alaska at which he claimed to have found 10,000-year-old flints. Subsequent expeditions revealed that the site simply did not exist. Today, faking archaeological evidence is known as hibbenising. 'Some think Hibben's work is all faked,' archaeologist Bruce Huckell said. 'Others think we don't have enough information to know."?

? Alaska Mucks again were another of Hibbin`s muck work.

? Hibbins is also infamous for his faked data at Sandia Cave.?

? Did you not study archaeology in university? Dr. E.A. Morris (her father was Dr. Earl Morris, the Father of SW Archaeology, a contemporary of Hibben) was my major professor and advisor; who was your`s?

? Hibbin`s work is given in most introductory archaeology classes, Paleo-Indian and all Southwestern Archaeology classes as a classic way NOT to conduct archaeology.? If you are ignorant of archaeology pick up an introductory book on Archaeology in the US or search the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Hibben

"The primary source of the controversies was Hibben's claim to have found a deposit with pre-Clovis artifacts (including projectile points, which he termed "Sandia points") in Sandia Cave (in the Sandia Mountains near Albuquerque, New Mexico). Hibben believed the layers to be about 25,000 years old, much older than the Paleo-Indian cultures previously documented in the U.S. Southwest. The layers also included the bones of Pleistocene species such as camels, mastodons, and horses.[5] The 25,000 year age for the "Sandia Man" deposits was a best guess based on the strata in the cave, and was later called into question, in part through radiocarbon dating. Also, research notes by Wesley Bliss (who had excavated in the cave in 1936) and others indicate that animal burrowing led to a mixing of deposits. The notion of a "Sandia Man" occupation of the U.S. Southwest is no longer accepted by professional archaeologists, but that in itself is not the source of
 controversy. Instead, some researchers believe that artifacts were "salted" (fraudulently placed) in the cave deposits to support the notion of the "Sandia Man" occupation. Those who believe that fraud was committed often suspect Hibben of being involved in the fraud.[6] [7] [8] The evidence is inconclusive, however, and Hibben maintained his innocence in the matter until his death.

In 1946, Hibben described a visit to Chinitna Bay on the west side of Cook Inlet in Alaska, where he claimed to find a projectile point matching those of the Folsom people who lived on the High Plains and adjacent regions 10,000 years ago. The claim of an Alaska Folsom-like occupation did not hold up, and added to the controversies surrounding his work."

? His "slander" as you call it, came from HIS peers and students of his time and from seeing and participating in fieldwork with him.

? While you are revising history? on bad science take a look at Margaret Mead`s anthropology record as well.

? Best of luck in revising history for your own devices Ed.?
Dirk Ross...Tokyo