[meteorite-list] Alien Contact Predicted

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:48:11 +0200

Exactly,

and our imagination, whether there are aliens and if, how they are,
does in the end only reflect our occupation with ourselves.

And I suppose, that has a longer tradition, our images of the aliens?

>From antique times on those fictions, where the protagonists travel to Moon
or to space and met the people there, were used to hold up a mirror up to
us, space was only the place for utopias, for satirical criticism on
societies, mankind, politics and stuff or for philosophical thoughts.
Hence that hadn't to do with aliens and science fiction directly,
it was only the arena for such kind of projections. Like it was used to let
such fiction play in far and unknown or fantastic lands, hence no difference
to let's say e.g Gulliver's Travels.

The basis for our todays imagination about the nature of aliens and Science
Fiction with its different genres, I think, was set in 19th century.
3 archetypes you find there.

One is the stalwartly optimistic believe, that the (new) technological
progress will lead mankind to an ideal society and will solve all our
worries and quarrels and that Earth and universe is waiting to be seized by
the human civilization. (Aliens would be only debilitating and annoying for
that purpose, hence there better shouldn't be any, I guess) Most popular
exponent was perhaps Jules Verne.

The antagonistic SfiFi to Jules Verne is best represented by the fictions of
a H.G.Wells. That mankind will always be limited to its behaviour and the
depths of its character. And that in its limitations the human society can
be helplessly at mercy if e.g. the intruder from Mars will come, and that
the society will fall in pieces.

Third one, somewhat earlier, is that enthusiasm for the Middle Ages of the
Romanticism. The escape into a manageable fairy-tale world, with noble
knights, pretty damsles, dynasties and battles and with clear rules, where
the Miller's son and underdog...nja you know. Wherefrom the whole stuff like
Tolkien, fantasy literature and our today's role-plays were derived off.

Well and from these three basic ingredients our conception of the aliens
seems to be mingled together.

And the prevalence of one or the other element is rather a question of
temporary vogues.

The breakdown of the old systems, the experiences of two World wars, the
cold war. There we had more Wells than Verne and the Aliens and the robots
and the prehistoric monsters and other communists had nothing better to do
than to invade Colorado and California to eradicate mankind and even The
Officer was powerless.
A little later with the upcoming space flight enthusiasm we had some more
Verne.

And very important, the affreightment of the genre with esoteric and
religious elements, mother nature, we are family and all the Hippie stuff.
That the aliens are of course not evil, but kindly have to come to rescue
us.
(Therefrom btw the resumption of the old concept of the noble savage,
if you remind one of the most popular aliens ever, the droll E.T.)

Which SciFi had the most influence in my generation?
And don't tell me that your concept of aliens isn't influenced by Scifi.

Star Wars Saga - that was pure Popcorn-Middle-Ages-fun.

Star Trek Series - was a kind, how should United Nations exemplarily behave
in space, where the problems are the very same as here on Earth + Daily
Soap.

Well and perhaps cause of the visually new realization, the Alien movies,
Good old Wells.

Kubrick's film you'll say.. I'm not sure, that it is directly about
aliens..

So you find always the same patterns, how the aliens should be.
Either they will come to eat us all up or they are Messiahs.
Both cases imply that they are more advanced than we, hence Wells.

(That they would be underdeveloped, that we can conquer, exploit and kill
them all, as we used to do so for the last thousands of years among our own
kind and tribes, is definitely excluded, because it would be against any
political correctness).

That is one thing,
the other thing is, why some are eager and some not, that there must be life
in space.

Well. In the beginning we were the center of the universe and we were
effigies of a God. Little later we learned ooops, Sun is the center of the
World. Again a little later, ouch the stars arenothing else than suns, than
there is another galaxy full of suns and that our sun isn't the center of
our galaxy, very soon after how obscenely large and far away other galaxies
are, and that our galaxy isn't the center of universe, meanwhile we had
learned that Grandpa was a chimpanzee, then we saw that the universe is full
of galaxies and that its incredible huge, we experienced how old it is, how
old Earth is (nasty meteorites), how old life is and that the human beings
existed for a shorter time than a blink of an eye, and that the universe
expanses so that maybe it will blow over (but before the sun will blow the
Earth, that we are mortal we all knew before), as it wouldn't be enough we
found 20 years ago other planets orbiting other suns...

...well, that all isn't so good for our ego, real masochists we are, if you
ask me.

Well and there are two diametrically opposed reactions.

Some say, please let be someone out there, and let it be microbes,
because that huge mess is to hard and depressing to endure for us alone.

And the others say, please let be there no other life, we had already to
give up so much, don't take away the last thing, which makes us unique and
special, cause else we wouldn't know, what the sense of that all should be.

Or so?

"Life goes on without life"
Sings Martin, the kitchen-philosopher.

PS: And we are always so impatient.