[meteorite-list] (no subject)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:13:50 -0500

Hi, Dan, Rob, List,

    The key weasel-word in that puzzle is "infinite."
An infinite number of anything, no matter how
small, even neutrons, has infinite mass and hence
exerts infinite gravitational force.

    Your infinite stack of Earths will collapsr at the
speed of light, having wrapped all space and time
around itself. You are a string of particles stretched
out over light years, with the tip of your nose pressed
against the event horizon at the speed of light where
you feel infinite force, but you are not moving because
time is standing still for you, and you will stay that
way forever... in your inertial frame.

    The Newtonian solution is simple. Using the central
force assumption of Newtonian gravitation (hey! works
for me!), the gravity you feel is the sum of an infinite series:
1 + (1/3)^2 + (1/5)^2 + (1/7)^2 + (1/9)^2 + (1/11)^2 +
(1/13)^2 + (1/15)^2 + (1/17)^2 + (1/19)^2 + ... =
1.208722 G's! (approximately, OK?)

    Your problem is that your Earths are too close together.
There is a cosmological solution that allows an infinite
static universe with infinite mass to have a finite and low
mass density. They're called Charlier universes, but I
never met one. They're awfully empty...

    Experiment is the key to all knowledge. You stack up
an infinite number of Earths, then time falling objects
with a pendulum, or even better, time the pendulum...
right in the heart of downtown Gedankenland.

Sterling K. Webb