[meteorite-list] (no subject)

From: Dan Brumleve <jdb1729_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:46:33 -0700

Sterling,

The solution I had in mind is the Newtonian one (curiously the value
is related to the probability of a random integer being divisible by a
square). But I don't agree that an infinite number of anything is
necessarily nonsensical... In this case (an infinite line of planets
with one end), the force is finite everywhere and never much larger
than 1G. (Alternatively, if we were on the edge of an infinite
half-space packed with planets, the force would be infinite and the
situation much less reasonable, essentially as you described.)

I had never heard of Charlier universes, looks like an applicable
framework, I will read more about it, thanks!

Dan