[meteorite-list] August 24th fireball over Canada

From: rocks at projectargus.com <rocks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 22:54:20 -0400

Thanks for your input on this. I'll share some more thoughts-

I read those comments, too (about it being 20 or 300 yards away). Here's
what I'm thinking - there's a pretty common misunderstanding between
distance and angular distance. We've all heard meteorite stories where
someone claims "it was right in front of me", only to find out later that
the object was hundreds of miles away. It's just not possible to judge the
distance of an object in the sky when you have no idea of its size.

The person who said it was 20 yards away also described it as a "fireball"
with "ripples from the heat"... which makes me think it was quite higher up
than 20 yards.

Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong... that would mean there are
meteorites!

Whether or not anything reached the ground from this one, it made me realize
how useful Twitter is for gathering eyewitness accounts. A few of these
people probably pulled out their cell phones and posted to Twitter within
minutes of the event. Best of all, these 25 people could easily be
contacted via Twitter if someone wants to seriously investigate this (get
latitudes/longitudes, etc.).

For this event, I found 25 witnesses on Twitter. Next time, it could be 50
or 100... who knows? This could prove to be a very useful tool for
meteorite hunters. I wanted to nickname this "the Twitter meteorite" if
anything gets found, but then I saw someone mention "Twitterite", which is
even better. The term has been coined - now we just need to find one.

--Noah