[meteorite-list] "Spacifieds.com" It's a great idea!

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 03:03:56 GMT

Eric, and all,

Any that collect radioactive materials and or man-made items that are radioactive must abide by postal rules. It is pretty simple. Just keep the rates below .5 mR/HR on the outside of the package, and mark the box it with UN2910 on each corner. Pack the item in a plastic bag and double box in the outer box center.

Natural ore is not HAZMAT, and the same is true for most of the common radioactive collector items that some adventurous souls (like me) collect.

There is a unwarranted fear now for anything that is radioactive.

But I can tell everyone this. Just last week I went to the hospital cardiac unit after an episode with my heart... I nearly had a heart attack. I was in for three days, as my heart was erratic. On the third day they did a nuclear exam of my heart using an isotope called Tc-99m with a half life of 6.6 hrs.

They released me from the hospital, and as soon as I got home I went to my Geiger counter and ratemeter and checked to see how radioactive I was.

I was FLOORED !

I could not BELIEVE what I SAW!

I was MORE radioactive than everything that I have collected in over the forty-five years combined-- Even if I put everything I had in one single pile!

Here are some videos taken the day after. 24-30 hrs after when the initial infusion of Tc-99m has gone through about 4 to 5 half/lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEcD8JeGTXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aahr5U5N6Eg

Even then I was more radioactive than just about everything, all the ore, the radium tubes, radium watches, dials, and WWII Normandy Helmet markers in my collection of over 45 years.

One would think that this is dangerous. Not really. Even at what would seem a huge amount of radiation, it is harmless in so far as I would have to be exposed and those sitting next to me exposed for 5,000 hrs. But that said their are some studies putting these kinds of tests into question-- Lawyers looking for an accident I suppose.

So, Eric and all, a proper presentation about radioactive materials might be in order. And also this can contrast with meteorites as many of the uninformed believe that meteorites are radioactive and hence dangerous.

Far from the truth, as we are exposed to a lot more radiation than from a mountain of meteorites fresh fallen from space.

Steve Schoner
IMCA 4470