[meteorite-list] August 24th fireball over Canada

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 23:15:47 EDT

>>I read those comments, too (about it being 20 or 300 yards away).
Here's
what I'm thinking - there's a pretty common misunderstanding between
distance and angular distance. We've all heard meteorite stories where
someone claims "it was right in front of me", only to find out later that
the object was hundreds of miles away.<<

Indeed this is a pretty common mistake.

>>The person who said it was 20 yards away also described it as a
"fireball"
with "ripples from the heat"... <<

I'm wondering if this person was referring to the front of the meteoroid
or the distorting train for the ripples?

>>Whether or not anything reached the ground from this one, it made me
realize
how useful Twitter is for gathering eyewitness accounts. <<

Indeed it could be very useful...a hunter can ask for phone
numbers/addresses, Lat and Long./sonic questions right away. Sure would make some leg
work a lot easier.

GeoZay