[meteorite-list] Alien Contact Predicted

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:27:54 -0500

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:40:09 -0400, you wrote:

>The Drake Equation is a prime example of mental masuturbation. It proves
>absolutely nothing. How can an equation prove anything when none of the
>variables are known with any certainity? As Rob points out, one zero
>nullifies the whole silly thing. How about Ne; the number of known Earth
>like planets supporting life=0.

Nope, the number of known Earthlike planets supporting life=1. The Earth is
remarkably Earthlike.

See:

http://xkcd.com/384/

>Crichton summed it up best at a lecture at Caltech :

Crichton? You mean Michael Crichton? The same Michael Crichton who made sience
the boogeyman in all of his books, and scientists as evil, amoral Dr.
Frankensteins who Get Theirs In The End? Michael Crichton has done nothing but
harm to the name of science and scientists. I credit Michael Chrichton as far
as I can throw his casket.