[meteorite-list] Alien Contact Predicted

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:36:56 -0500

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:13:40 -0400, you wrote:

>nothing but conjecture based on beliefs. Your belief in alien life forms
>sounds religious to me, like you have faith in something you know ain't so.

I don't have "belief in alien life forms"-- I simply do not have a conviction
that the conditions under which life can form are so utterly rare that there
will not be more than one example in all of the universe.

>The probabality of life popping into existence out of non living matter is
>the smallest unit of measure above zero. Just think about it, it's not
>alive, poof!, it's alive.

This only proves the profound depth of your ignorance. Are you really
suggesting that people think a full, living cell spontaneously generated? More
than ever, I'm thinking you are a creationist. You sure use plenty of their
retoric.

"Life" is a fuzzy term-- it is easy to look at extremes and pick if they are
alive or they are not. An elephant? Alive. A brick? Not alive. But there is
not a sharp transition between life and non-life. Is a virus alive, or not?
There are well educated scientists who argue on both sides of that. What about
a prion? It is capable of converting other proteins to it's own malformed
shape. Is a prion alive? You want to understand what scientists think about
the origin of life? Stop your own mental masturbating and pick up a few books,
because you are sorely ignorant in the area.

I will ask you point blank, and if you don't answer, then you have answered it
with your silence:

Do you think life began naturally on Earth, or do you believe it was "created?"
Because, if the latter, there is no longer room for science-based discussion.