[meteorite-list] Asteroid Radar

From: Richard Kowalski <kowalski_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:35:46 -0700

--- On Sat, 8/29/09, Meteorites USA <eric at meteoritesusa.com> wrote:

> From: Meteorites USA <eric at meteoritesusa.com>
> Subject: [meteorite-list] Asteroid Radar
> To: "meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com"
> Date: Saturday, August 29, 2009, 3:46 AM
> Hi Listees,
>
> I've a question that I've been wondering about... All the
> fireball chasing, and meteorite hunting aside. Is there any
> network of space based asteroid detection using radar
> satelites? And if so how does that or would that work? Would
> you be able to effectively "see" asteroids with radar in
> space?
>
> Just curious...
>
> Regards,
> Eric
> ________

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure what you mean by "radar satellites". I'll assume you mean
satellites that use radar to detect other objects in which case the
short answer is no.

Planetary radar is extremely energy intensive and has an extremely
narrow beam. Radar astronomers regularly make requests for astrometry of
target asteroids on the Minor Planet Mailing List so their can refine
their targeting so as to not waste precious, expensive time finding the
objects and actually observing them

Also remember that you have to both transmit and receive for radar to
work, and yoour targets are usually extremely small, so beside the
narrow beam, you have to contend with the inverse square law. Your
transmitted signal has to be extremely powerful to get a tiny signal back.

Planetary radar requires huge radio telescopes such as Goldstone &
Arecibo to be effective, so the power requirements, beam angle and the
size of the antennas needed eliminates any possibility for a satellite
base radar detection system.

For more informtion, see the Asteroid Radar Research page at JPL here:

http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/

Cheers

--
Richard Kowalski