[meteorite-list] Aussie astrophoto of beta Octans (not meteor)

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:39:32 -0700

Hi Jason and List,

The mystery was solved earlier today. The bright, trailed object is
beta Octans (near the celestial south pole). The 6+ additional trails
in the image are due to stars a few degrees outside of the initial
field of view that later slide across the image as the pointing slews
to the lower left. I've tentatively identified these stars as:

xi Octans (m 5.35)
HD 216239 (m 8.17)
HD 218559 (m 6.41)
HD 219090 (m 8.13)
HD 219125 (m 8.22)
HD 219358 (m 8.37)
and possibly HD 218108 (m 6.12)

Bottom line: not a meteor. To convince yourself in about 5 seconds,
go to the following link:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=49164&highlight=meteor&p
age=5

and open the thumbnail in post #81.