[meteorite-list] Alien Contact Predicted

From: Phil Whitmer <prairiecactus_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:50:24 -0400

Steve,
I'm old enough to have seen "To Serve Man" when it first came out. One of
my favorite episodes of the "Zone"! I always prefered it to the "Outer
Limits". Rod Serling was an early role model of what it meant to be "cool".

Unfortunately, we are the heirs to the Roman Empire and not the ancient
Greeks. Not that the Romans didn't make lots of contributions, the Greeks
just had a different approach to art, literature and science. I think it was
the idealism that was lost, the way the spirit of JFK in his determination
to go to the moon has been lost today.

Speaking of going to the moon, if you read ancient Chinese literature, you
will find several references about them going to the moon. In 2309 BC the
Emperor Yao claims to have sent his chief engineer to the moon and back.
There are several other accounts of moon and space travel. Many of them
describe the moon's surface as glassy, or made of glass. The ancient Greek
Empedocles also concluded that the moon was made of a glassy substance. The
Apollo astronauts confirmed these observations that the moon is covered with
a glass like soil. Deductive reasoning or just coincidence? I don't know.

About life out there, I've already indicated I don't accept the argument of
scale. It doesn't matter to me if the size of the Universe turns out to be
Infinity +1, it doesn't logically follow that therefore life arose from non
living matter. I believe abiogenesis only happened once. My evidence for
this belief, however slim, is that life is impossible to produce in the
laboratory, and Mars is devoid of life. It's not that I don't believe in
improbable, highly unlikely things, I just need evidence. I'll believe in
the God Particle as soon as the Large Hadron Collider produces evidence of
its existence. (The stupidest thing Americans have ever done: bulldoze and
abandon our own particle accelerator! No, we don't want to be on the cutting
edge of discovering the Ultimate Basis of reality. We do however have a
trillion to spend on a war against Waziristanis who claim their penis is
larger than ours!)

I never claimed that life does not exist elsewhere, I'm just saying I don't
believe it without any supporting evidence. I'm not that arrogant, unlike
others who claim with absolute certainy that little green men from advanced
civilizations exist. For all I know, the little greens and the tall grays
are rockin' out to Johnny B. Goode right now, courtesy of Carl Sagan and the
Voyager Gold Record.

Phil Whitmer

Phil,

Right pure brain power in the 5th century B.C. Had the Greeks not fallen to
the forces of that day, and progressed, I think Mankind would have gone to
the moon a thousand years ago. Our species had to have a few hard knocks
before we here in America did it.

Brain power though, look at Einstein? In his early 20's without any
scientific equipment at his disposal he tied together the observations of
those that did and came up with the theories of Relativity, and also
electromagnetism.

Studying his life-- It just blows me away, and demonstrates the power of the
human intellect.

But the subject at hand... I cannot accept that this Universe in all its
vastness has only us here on earth as the only intelligent species.
Considering what certain meteorites reveal regarding the universal
proliferation of biologic prerequisite compounds, we being the only ones
would be nothing less than miraculous. Then again, alien beings might very
well be aware of us, and might just eradicate us as a universal nuisance.

Did not Steven Hawking give a warning about our desire to contact alien
beings? He pointed out that our own history shows what happens when an
advanced civilization meets one less advanced. In this regard, how many of
you remember that old Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man"-- Could very well
be the truth.

I f you have not seen "To Serve Man", it can be viewed on the Internet.

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470