[meteorite-list] More eBay cancelled auctions

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 01:53:09 GMT

I had a similar problem, or the seller had the problem as I was in the hospital and could not bid. It was for a special type of thin rock saw... very expensive items when new and costly when used. I wanted to bid on it as it was listed for .99cts. Then the day before the auction was to end, there were no bidders. I wanted that machine badly. Then with a potentially deadly episode with my heart, to the hospital I went for 3 days.

I missed the auction completely and no one had bid on it. .99cts. I could not believed that it had passed with no bids. And the seller had not re-listed it either. I e-mailed the seller my story, saying that I would have bid on it and maybe gotten it for .99cts. (Robbery on my part really). So I wrote would he be willing to take an offer on it out of auction. The owner was gone for a few days, and when he returned, I got an email stating? MAKE US AN OFFER.

I did. $50 plus shipping and handling. (Still a steal, expecting a counter offer)

Instead, the seller accepted, and the deal was done.

I think that maybe in cases where a really valuable item is snagged for a real low price, it might be honorable to make an offer that would reasonable to avoid the auction being canceled, due to seller regrets.

But then again, I have sold things on ebay and taken it in the shorts so to speak, and that is the way it is. I never short an auction that I put up no matter what the closing price is.

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470
P.S. I hate Ebay.

Message: 9