[meteorite-list] Odp: [MICRO] Diamonds and Ureilites

From: Tomasz Jakubowski <illaenus_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:25:36 +0100

Dear List Members,
thats true Greg, ureilites contain um size diamonds but also nanometers
(smallest grains We discover had 320 nm, but smaller are also found).
Usually diamonds have 2 - 10 um in size, they are set in vein like area
between olivine, pygeonite cristals.
If someone will be interest I can send many publication about ureilitic
diamonds off list. I think that Ted Bunch who read List can say
somethong about their origin.

Kind Regards
Tomek Jakubowski
IMCA #2321

Dnia 1-12-2009 o godz. 20:02 Greg Hupe napisa?(a):
> Hi Greg S. and List,
>
> Greg S. asked:
> "I was wondering if anyone knows which Ureilite contains the most
> diamonds,
> and how much (perhaps by percent) it contains. I've read that they are
> often
> difficult to cut because of the diamonds in the matrix."
>
> Ureilites contain 'micro'-diamonds, and in a word on how difficult they
> are
> to cut and polish, "A Pain!" The first ureilites we purchased in Morocco
> several years ago we learned just how painful and expensive they were to
> prepare. Basically if you are using an 8" .012 diamond blade, expect to go
> through at least one blade per inch of cutting (if you are lucky!)!
>
> Best regards,
> Greg
>
> ====================
> Greg Hupe
> The Hupe Collection
> NaturesVault (eBay)
> gmhupe at htn.net
> www.LunarRock.com
> IMCA 3163
> Click here for my current eBay auctions:
> http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnaturesvault

mgr. Tomasz Jakubowski
nr telefonu : 602 889 836
Skype : tymon65