[meteorite-list] How much survives entry?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:40:06 -0700

There are recoveries following instrumentally recorded fireballs. Initial
mass is estimated in different ways, depending on the data available. This
includes seismic and infrasound data as well as intensity profiles, either
from cameras or spacecraft.

There are several papers which rigorously describe the ablation process on
theoretical grounds, and these are also consistent with a 95%+ mass loss.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com