[meteorite-list] Libyan (looks like a) crater

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 05:02:44 +0100

It is obviously a crater but the question is if it was produced by a
meteorite or by human hand. As for the sample he collected it could be
an accretion layer exposed by the cratering event, probably iron
hydroxides (rust) and other mineral salts that have cemented the sand
grains together.

The crater seems to be way too small to have the energy needed to melt
the sand. It looks to be in the size of some of the bigger Sikhote-Alin
craters. That brings an interesting question, what is the smallest
crater known with impact glass?

Ask him to crack the sample and check if the sand is held together with
a glass or by relatively soft material. If the sand had melted it would
have about the same hardness as quartz.

I'm no geology expert but I have collected minerals for 15 years. Over
the years I have met a lot of professional geologists and I'm surprised
of how bad many are of identifying minerals in the field. Probably
because geology today is often about regional processes and large scale
mapping and seldom about the small details.

Okay, with that disclaimer I'll even make a few guesses.
1. Meteorite crater. There will probably not be may traces left of it
unless it was an iron meteorite, compare with the crater of Carancas.
2. Bomb crater. Pieces of metal should be easily found by digging the
crater or using a metal detector around the crater. It would take a
large bomb to make a crater this big but it could be a crater from WW2.
3. Some one thought that this could be a good place for a spring, found
a promising place and added a large explosive charge in a hole to dig it
fast. If there are a water table below the surface it could also explain
the concretions and the electrical anomaly.

Interesting anyhow and I would go there to check it out if I wasn't so
close to the arctic circle.

:-)

/G?ran