[meteorite-list] Tucson 2010 Show Website and News

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:05:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Anne & all,

People keep bringing up a great point. I've seen other shows crater because they were in cities with too many attractions (specifically Anaheim). People bring their families and a lot of the attendees spend a few days at Disney Land. So the shows suffer because of the many distractions.

That being said, it's folly for Tucson to ignore the problems. The show could move to Marana or another nearby community which is more business friendly outside the state (Milwaukee lost GenCon to Indianapolis - a great venue with hardly any distractions, probably my favorite show city...).

Moving next door to Marana or Oro Valley would not a problem for us, but it would be bad for the city. If a lot of the dealers pull out, I doubt the Tucson Gem & Mineral Society would follow. So the show would go on in some fashion. If attendance drops, then hotel prices should follow. It's difficult to tell if the poor attendance last year was caused by the growing infrastructure problems, or the recession. I know jewelry dealers who were happy with last year. It's such a big show, I don't see a drastic change, but maybe a slow decline if things don't improve.

But if the all of the dealers DID manage to move and the Society dissolved, I wouldn't follow. I'd start going to Denver, Munich or Ensisheim... I hope the City starts to do a better job!

Hoping for a bigger, brighter (& drier) Tucson show!! Good luck to all the dealers!

Mark B.
Vail, AZ