[meteorite-list] Ordinary chondrites - rarest to the most common classes

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 05:33:01 -0500

I agree with Doug... the rarest and most valuable type of OC from a
scientific perspective is petrologic type 3.00-3.01, from any of the
chemical groups. Only one is known... Semarkona. If we take a more
expansive definition of "ordinary chondrite" than most of my rather
conservative colleagues are normally willing to accept, I would say that
the rarest group of OCs is the R chondrites (only ~100 are known and
many of those are paired). In addition, a number of unique ungrouped
meteorites are OC-like. But again, I don't know of any colleagues who
agree with me that R chondrites are in the OC class. [I would say that
the OC class has two clans, the H-L-LL clan and the R clan].

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383