[meteorite-list] Paris, France CM Meteorite

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 05:01:26 -0500

Bob wrote:

"What are the coordinates for the Lafayette (stone)?"

Hi Bob, they are the coordinates of the Purdue University Earth
Sciences Department where Farrington found the Lafayette nakhlite in a
drawer in the geology department (1931). No doubt you can speak for Los
Angeles. The question depends upon choosing your rigorous definition of
exactly what constitutes a locality that we can agree upon (yeah,
right).

The locality of the Lafayette oriented stone would seem not to be
known, and just to be another one of those cute reputed yarns - some
African-American guy found it supposedly somewhere, and dug it out of a
hole and then he disappeared after later giving it to Purdue. It
appears not even known for sure whether it was found in Indiana. So
that makes it a transported meteorite, right?

Best wishes
Doug