[meteorite-list] Meteorite Deaths? Interesting old article-read

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:26:54 -0600

Hi, Larry, List,

> The events quoted by you from John Lewis'
> book are open to interpretation.

This you quickly spin to UFO's and I. Velikovsky
in the very next sentence and following paragraph.
Ridiculous. There is nothing like that in Lewis'
book.

Such a lame response puzzles me. I realize that
Lewis' views are not popular with the community.
Never really undestood why. To me he seems
emminently reasonable. Perhaps it is merely
an inevitable consequence of conflict between
those who like (and want to assert) a cozy and
orderly universe with none but minor upsets
and those who point out it just ain't so, bub.

"Open to interpretation"? I don't see it. Are you
telling me that the "monk, several birds, and a
sheep... killed by meteorites" was really a nun, some
squirrels and a goat killed by stones thrown by
hooligans? Or that it never happened? Got a
contemporary reference for that?

> Lewis did not make any effort to try to validate
> the events...

Lewis was very clear that his was a records search
(of the sort which almost all of historical research is)
of what historians call "primary sources." He does
sometimes finds multiple references to an event,
but that is rare in the Dark and Middle Ages. See the
opening of Chap. 13 of "Rain of Iron and Ice." Not
field work. Paul's response suggests that field work
could be profitable if the site could be located. That
took me by surprise; I assumed too much time had
passed. It's an exciting thought.

Most of the bulk of my post involved the old Chinese
recorded incidents. Lewis took those from the Yau,
Weissman and Yeomans' paper:
    Yau, K., P. Weissman, and D. Yeomans.
"Meteorite Falls in China and Some Related Human
Casualty Events." Meteoritics 29, 864-871.

The full text is available here:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1994Metic..29..864Y

If there is any controversy about the Yau paper (in the
sense of articles that dispute the data or conclusions),
I can't find any despite my Googlestorm for "Yau et al.
1994 meteorite.".

Quoted below are a summary and some comments from:
http://farshores.org/ameteo.htm
    "The... study by Yau et al is based upon an in-depth review
of the catalogues and ancient texts that document the fall
of meteorites in China. Their research has found that 337
meteorites were observed... in China between 700 BC and
AD 1920. Given that the area of China is 9.6 million square
kilometres, Yau et al (1994) find that the average number of
meteorite falls, in China, is 0.1 per year per million square
kilometres. [Please note that this is 80 times smaller than
the MORP estimate and that's too small by 3-4 fold, so the
Yau estimate is modest, to say the least. -- SKW]
    One of the most interesting results of the new study was
revealed when a plot of the number of meteorite falls per
century was made. To their amazement, Yau and co?workers
found a distribution which showed two peaks of higher
than expected activity. An enhanced number of meteorite
falls were recorded between circa 1550 to 1750 and from
circa 1840 to 1880. Unfortunately, it is not easy to understand
what the peaks might mean. The completeness of the accounts
is not known, and the observed rate of falls has to be de-biased
for the effects of an increasing population. That is, as the
population increases so the chances of someone observing a
fireball, and the fall of its accompanying meteorite, increases.
    One explanation of the peaks is that they are due to the existence
of meteorite swarms... This idea is not a new one, but it is
controversial. If nothing else, given that the peaks are real,
and Yau et al offer some statistical arguments to suggest that
they might be, they clearly imply that there are long-term
variations in the rate at which meteorites fall to Earth...
    In the course of their investigations, Yau and co-workers came
across seven accounts of meteorite falls in which human fatalities
and injuries were recorded. In AD 616, for example, it is reported
that "a large shooting star like a bushel fell onto the rebel Lu
Ming-yueh's camp. It destroyed his wall-attacking tower and
crushed to death more than ten people." Another account from
1341 reads, "it rained iron in Chin-ning. They damaged crops.
Most of the people and animals struck by them were killed."
The most recent account uncovered by Yau et al relates to a
fall (or April 25, 1915) in which a woman had her arm torn
off at the shoulder. [A twentieth-century Swedish man lost
his arm to a meteorite also; it was buried with him, the arm,
not the meteorite -- S&T]"

On the entire question of pre-scientific historical documents,
the degree to which ancient chronicles may be relied upon
for observations of astronomical events may be gauged by a
glance at this list of papers:
http://hbar.phys.msu.ru/gorm/eclipse.htm

The "Lewis List" or an expanded version of it is widely quoted
on websites from sober to whacky (who add Firestone, who is
whacky, and Baillie, who is not). He's not responsible for that.
Or do you hold him responsible?

Examples of such references (good and bad):

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/icq/meteorites.html

http://www.oberlin.edu/faculty/bsimonso/group9.htm

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/151954-Meteorites-Asteroids-and-Comets-Damages-Disasters-Injuries-Deaths-and-Very-Close-Calls

Another reference about historic damaging events is:
    Halliday, I., A.T. Blackwell, and A.A. Griffin.
"Meteorite Impacts on Humans and Buildings."
Nature 318, 317, but I can't find a copy.
    There are a number of interesting-sounding papers
by this team that bear on determining an accurate fall
rate, but I can't get to any of them without bribing The
Lords Who Own All Knowledge with exorbitant sums
from my hoard of ancient gold coins...

As the kid at Holbrook yelled, "Maw! It's raining rocks!"

Sterling K. Webb