[meteorite-list] Additional report on the Tamdakht meteorite fall

From: Meteorite-Recon.com <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 16:34:11 +0100

Good Morning everybody,

After reading through the various posts on the subject, private correspondence, media reports, field photos, coordinates and information streaming in from Morocco, I personally have arrived at the conclusion that Tamdakht is a meteorite fall, which is much better documented than similar events of the past. I appreciate the work the Morrocan enthusiasts, hunters and dealers have accomplished. Particularly as they were able to locate the fall site before the heavy rains in mid January.

Philippe Thomas was already so kind to share information on his website and I think he did a great job in giving an accurate picture. I too had the fortune to receive 1st hand reports from the field from our Moroccan friends and I have compiled these in the report published here:

http://www.meteorite-recon.com/en/meteorite%20tamdaght%202.htm

The report also contains the English translation of the article in "Al Masah" from December 28. Note that the article speaks of a similar fireball sighting in Tunesia from December 18. The Tunesian fireball also produced seismic shock waves. This may become interesting should fresh finds from Tunesia become public in the near future.

I may add a few personal thoughts on issues discussed here on the list, regarding the Tamdakht fall and its recovery:

"the impact was heard"

Several witnesses, including those interviewd by the newspaper "Al Masah" stated that a "seismic shock wave was heard and the ground was shaking at the "collision of the celestial body with a mountain." At that time the location of the potential touchdown was still unknown. It is most probable that eye witnesses, unfamiliar with meteoritic phenomena, presumed that such sounds could only be caused by an explosion due to an impact. Anybody who has ever done an interview with an eyewitness of a meteorite fall will recognize this assumption as it is quite common.

"the crater vs. impact pit issue"

There has been some confusion regarding field images from the Tamdakht area. It is very common to hear "pit" or "hole" translated as "crater". We had that with the Hosur fall and the Bassikounou fall, where eye witnesses and official sources reported "craters" that were in fact an impact pits, or impact holes. This is particularly an issue when reports in Arab or French are translated into English, but there are probably a number of other languages that do not provide capability to distinguish between both terms precisely.

"chondrules vs no chondrules"

Anyone who had the chance to study material of the Tamdakht fall will agree that the material differs enough from the known Mahgreb falls to distinguish it from other material circulating. Most fractured surfaces show chondrules, although they are usually small (1-2mm) and are quite fading with the surrounding matrix. Some fractured surfaces show slickensides on which there are no chondrules to see, which explains the comment of a honored list member, who did not find chondrules on the fractured surfaces of his specimen. Any larger polished cut surface will show well defined chondrules in good contrast.

We will continue the report on our website with additional informatio and I am looking forward to hear impressions on the new material from Tucson.

Thanks for your interest

Svend

www.meteorite-recon.com

--