[meteorite-list] Main mass pics of Emsland, Erxleben and Bremervoerde

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 19:21:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi Martin,

Thank you for sharing this depressing account. It pains me to hear
of meteorites being neglected, but I was unaware this institutional
neglect was so widespread. I recall hearing recently about one
of the main masses of Cape York sitting outside in the open without
any protection from the elements in Denmark. (I think that is
what I heard, if I am wrong, someone please correct me)

As a collector who treats his specimens reverence, it makes me
feel good about what I am doing when I hear about supposedly-respected
institutions and universities who are either neglecting their
meteorites (at best) or abusing them at worst. I know many of
these institutions still frown on private collectors because
we represent competition for specimens and they accuse us of
hurting science by hoarding meteorites. I disagree with that
notion, as you said before, because much new science has come
out of the hot desert finds - many of which were brought to light
by private dealers and hunters for profit. I think that properly-
educated collectors, acting in tandem with competent institutions,
can advance the science of meteoritics. Just think of all of the
rare types sitting unclassified in collection cabinets across
the world! Rather than hindering each other, collector and
scientist should work together towards a common goal - learning
more about our universe and appreciating one of nature's finest
works of art.

For the cash-strapped museums and universities I say :

If any museum or university has a big meteorite that is too
expensive to properly maintain, please send it to me and I will
ensure that it gets proper care and conservation. Better yet,
just email me and I will arrange shipment at my expense to
deliver the specimen to me. ;)

FWIW, I think what Martin and Stefan are doing is a perfect example
of how the private collector/dealer can contribute overall to
the field of meteoritics. Just look at how many interesting
planetary meteorites the Heirs have had classified. Well done. :)

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com