[meteorite-list] new Mars boxes, etc.

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:01:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello eveyone -

What can be said about Martin and Stefan's new Mars boxes? WOW!

Their little Moon chip box which I acquired from them 2 years ago at Tucson never fails to delight the young people when I give my little introduction to meteorites talk at powwows. I regret to say that the small stoney iron slice which I acquired from Anne Black broke in two during my travels, but I am hoping to get two rather tough small vinyl sleeves for the two remaining pieces, which should work well.

While in Tucson I spoke with Larry about doing an article on Native American meteorite traditions for "Meteorite", but then was distracted by the discussion of Hibben and other anthropological details, and personal matters. About all that I can remember of them now are the Cherokee traditions available from Mooney, and perhaps I'll be able to type them up and pass them on to the list.

Given Mative American value of meteorites, I realize now that they would make a great item to sell at powwow alongside my book - very small stones, say end price in the $10-$20 range. I think those small stones Chicago Steve gives away would work fine for that purpose - the small Canyon Diablo oxidized pieces in the $5 end price range might work also. (It's too bad the museum folks there never thought of doing little photo boxes for them.) But I have no money for inventory right now, and my powwow schedule for this year is uncertain at the current time. It is unfortunate that this thought did not come to me much earlier.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

PS 1 - I need to get in touch with Ken Tankersley, if anyone can help.

PS 2 - May I suggest the names "Chicago" Steve and "Brenham" Steve to the two Arnold's?