[meteorite-list] Bogus indochinites? Are they or aren't they?

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:09:47 -0000

I don't think assuming 'no one would bother faking something' is the
same as meaning they never will, or that something else is consiquentaly
genuine because of the low likely hood.

This is like applying the same logic that some doctors use, when they
say 'you don't have X wrong with you because its 'very unlikely'

 The market for indochinites world wide is colossal there are thousands
and thousands of gem shops world wide to sell to, believe me they [do]
fake tektites, and I doubt most everyday people would even know the
difference, if they can make a ton of tektites for a few dollars then it
is worth it. Recycled glass is very cheap...

Anyway not wishing to cause panic here, I'm fairly confident 99%+ of
tektites are perfectly ok, just be careful buying from people you don't
know about is all.

Best
Mark