[meteorite-list] What are the top 10 mostscientificallyimportant meteorites?

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:46:50 -0500

Hello Everyone,

This is actually a very good question. Thanks Graham. I have often thought
about this. I have deliberately refrained from chiming in until now. Why?
Because at the moment I am home alone and have nothing better to do with my
time.

I would like the meteoriticists on the list to give their opinion. Seems
natural, since Graham inquired about the most important meteorites from a
scientifice point-of-view.

As a meteorite collector and not a meteorite researcher, I have my own
opinion but who cares about my opinion? Okay, well maybe one person does so
I would list (in no particular order) Murchison, Allende, all the Lunars and
Martian s equally, etc.

Well, that's not 10, is it?

BTW, Carancas would not make my personal list but again, who cares? (That
is a rhetoricalquestion, BTW)

Getting back to my original point, before this thread dies, I would like to
to hear from the Jeff Grossman, Everett Gibson and Allan Treiman's of the
list (I really do not like listing names because I invariablly leave some
deserving person out).

BTW, I saw Everett Gibson on that History Channel documentary about Tunguska
a few nights ago. Everett looks like he would be equally adept at the
hands of a BBQ as he would an SEM :-)

Don't get me wrong - I mean no disrespect to Dr. Gibeon. I happen to love
BBQs!

And while I am at it. I owe Donald Yoeman's and JPL an apology. A year or
two ago I sort of denigrated JPL for it's lack meteorite research. I had
forgotten that Dr. Yoeman's (and other's) are at JPL. My belated apologies.

Without making this post too long (I know, too late). How about it? What
do the scientists think are the most scientifically important meteorites?

-Walter Branch