[meteorite-list] What are the top 10 most scientificallyimportant meteorites?

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 06:49:49 -0700 (MST)

Jeff and all:

You reminded me of the importance of certain meteorites to the study of
asteroids.

It was a near infrared spectrum of Orgueil and then Murchison that led to
the discovery of water of hydration on C-class asteroids and made a very
important connection between the "primitive" asteroids and carbonaceous
meteorites. This work is still going on today thanks to those early
spectra, including the Dawn mission to Vesta and Ceres.

Larry