[meteorite-list] What are the top 10 most scientifically important meteorites?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:51:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jason, all -

"Rocks like Graves Nunataks (GRA) 06128 and 06129, like NWA 011,
Ibitira, Semarkona, Kaidun - they do much more individually to further
our knowledge of the solar system." - Jason

The significance or "value" of all knowledge lies in its worth to humans. There is no measure other than people: value is the result of valuing, just as price is the result of sale.

Thus the meteorite(s) that demonstrated to Europeans that accretion was still occurring is number one (and two). The meteorites that demonstrated that that accretion could be explosive come next. The meteorite that showed that comets accrete with more power than asteroids is next.

As Sagan said, we're all bits of star stuff, so the carbonaceous chondrite meteorites which demonstrated that follow.

The knowledge of the formation of our solar system has use in our power and energy systems, so some of the primitive chondrites follow.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas