[meteorite-list] Might Something Need To Be Done Department

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:49:11 +0100

Hi Pat,

the Bulletin Database has as tkw for Allende of 2 metric tons = 2000kg.
(And some say 3 tons).

It felt at a time, where naturally there weren't such myopic laws like today
and there were less collectors than today. And it felt in a country with
good accessibility.

To make it short: Allende was the NWA 869 of the 70ies.

It's a little bit similar to Millbillillie,
Sometimes collectors ask, why an NWA-EUC can cost more than a Millbillillie.
But if you check the stats: Every second eucrite is a Millbillillie :-)

Murchison had a relatively high tkw.
Also a few collectors and Australia was still a free country, a
meteorite-democracy.
I often told the anecdote, a German veteran collector told me.
He came to know of the Murchison fall by a short note in a newspaper.
So he wrote a letter, asking about the circumstances and what had happened,
and sent it to Murchison, Australia.
Weeks later he received a parcel, with a nice answer, cause they were
astonished and amazed that someone from so far away was interested in what
had happened in their little town and as a little tank you, a 100g+ sample
of Murchison was included.

Allende could be one of the reasons for the misconception of some, who are
bemoaning that the prices of meteorites pretendendly would have "soared"
and who have the imagination that in earlier years meteorites cost virtually
nothing.
But Allende was always one of the exceptions, cause of its mass
availability.

Best!
Martin