[meteorite-list] Report increases and debris streams

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:31:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sterling -

It would seem to me that the carbonaceous chondrite (comet debris) streams may be easiest to pick out, but then their survival as meteorites may make that difficult.

As far as the asteroid streams go, the whole thing reminds me of a bad science fiction movie: asteroids in gravitationally stable orbits for a long time, then either run into each other or are dislodged by a comet and sent Earthward.

It's the clumps in both that the prediction of falls needs to sort out.

While we've had many studies of orbits from films of entry paths, I have seen little mention of intercept speeds derived from these films, or from reports for that matter.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

PS - I gave my little introduction to meteorites talk to a friend's three young children last night. It was a real pleasure, so my thanks to all here who made it possible. Funny thing, at the end of it they were wondering how they could get hold of meteorites of their own.