[meteorite-list] Fireball dynamics questions:

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:28:15 -0800 (PST)

I am still trying to assemble a trajectory and terminus for the Kentucky fireball of 13 Feb. Lots of sightings but nearly all are missing critical data like azimuth.. duh. I need some facts/values and can't seem to find them in the archives or my notes. My memory is not specific enough to use. (Metric or English is fine, I can convert when I rewrite my tables)

1. What is the approximate maximum altitude where the atmosphere dense enough to support the formation of sonic boom? Somewhere my mind says 32miles.

1a. Speed of sound at sea level? 1500 meters per second?

2. What is the approximate maximum distance a ground observer can see fireballs over the horizon as limited by the curvature of the earth? my memory also says 250 miles

3. What are the approximate maximum and minimum altitudes where a meteoroid can incandesce? 130 down to 5 miles asl?

4. What is free fall maximum velocity assuming 0 cosmic energy remaining? 120 or 400mph?

5. To plot and publish results on google maps do I need to be a paying member?

Bonus Points: anyone have a contact/office name in the FAA to access air traffic Control radar tapes for a specific time and date? Anyone know the name of the Canadian Academic that was getting downgraded USAF fireball data?

Thanks,
Elton