[meteorite-list] West, TX meteorite hunt, day 5

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:14:31 -0800 (PST)

Well, back in the hotel after a long day's hunt. Our team recovered 9 meteorites today, including the one you saw in the pic of the day.
We have extended the strewn field much longer today, with confirmed finds nearly 10 miles apart. All together, my team has recovered 30 meteorites.
We are just starting.
The distribution of these stones is interesting, we have 5 gram meteorites being recovered nearly 10 miles from first to last, usually you have normal size segregation, it seems this fall disrupted so many times, that sizes are not really where they should be. I have no idea how far the main mass went, we will only guess that the largest piece has been found when someone finds a larger piece every day.
We found two broken stones today, and inside was the most amazing breccia. It reminds me of St Michel, white interior with spiderweb veins and nice darker clasts in a light cream-colored matrix.
I spoke to most hunters today, and it is almost unanimous that no one wants to sell stones. I have seven myself and would not sell any of them. Too hard to find, too much walking and the money would not make much difference. I will keep a nice jar full of pristine flawless stones that have never been rained on. At least the weather looks great for the next 10 days, if not a little warm.
It seems that virtually everyone who has come here has found a stone, a wonderful thing, that hunters are being rewarded for their hard work.
I would not expect, at least at this point, for many stones to be offered for sale. Again, even at $50 gram or more, so far most people would not even pay expenses for the trip, as most stones are under 20 grams. I guess that about 10% are larger than that.

I am sure the meteorite will be named West, Cottonwood is already a name, and I don't think this deserves to be a (b). A creek is just that, and I know doug want's it named that after the landowner's creek, but NOMCOM is not going to accept that.
West, is a great name.
We will see what tomorrow's hunt brings,
good night to all.
Michael Farmer