[meteorite-list] west,texas comin' northeast

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:33:36 EST

To: Steve Arnold, Chicago

You are a liar!

I know about that stone you bought.

I have seen the stone you bought.

I know where it was found.

I know who found it, because he was on my team.

I know who sold it to you.

I know what you paid for it.

You did NOT pay $90/g for it.

You paid CONSIDERABLY less than $90/g for it.

First off, it is bad enough that you have the same name as I do, and people
confuse us all the time.

Second off, I am pissed that I have to take time out of the field from
hunting to write this email to call you out on this.

What in the hell are you thinking???

Why do you go publicly on the list and lie like that?

I have been asking about and asking directly the very few people that have
found more than one or two specimens what they will be selling them for, and
either they don't want to sell them at any price, or if they do, they don't
know what they will ask.

In a supply and demand world, we don't know what the supply is going to be.
We have a little guess at what the demand will be, but we just don't know
how the equation will work out yet.

Of course you can speculate all you want as to what the price might be, but
you are doing GREAT HARM by making such a post.

And finally, all of us out here are busting our butts to compile strong
strewnfield data. Part of our work involves getting cooperation from land owners
to let us hunt. All your public post is going to do is going to give fuel
to land owners to not let anyone hunt, as they might think they are being
taken advantage of.

The reason some of these meteorites might sell at a premium is not because
they are inherently WORTH a premium, but that it is costing a FORTUNE in man
hours to just find them. If someone spends $1,000 to come out, plus lost
wages being away from work to find a 10 gram rock, why on earth would they sell
it for less than $100/gram?

It is not because, as in the above case, it is worth $150/g to the buyer,
but that it actually cost the finder that much to get it.

You SO don't get this, and I fear you have now caused irreversible harm to
the ENTIRE recovery project.

OK, enough, I have to get back to picking up rocks.

The Steve Arnold
(not to be confused with the liar Steve Arnold from Chicago)

In a message dated 2/25/2009 6:18:23 A.M. Central Standard Time,