[meteorite-list] FOR THE RECORD

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:35:41 -0800 (PST)

$100/g may seem pricey but then we are collectors of extraordinary (indeed, extraterrestrial) material.
If commercial value is to be placed on such items, I think the rarity of such material would qualify it as more valuable than they actually sell for.
Out of interest, just how much do dealers think this material would be worth if it weren't for the glut of material from the Sahara in recent years? I reckon it'd be far more.
I forget where the quote comes from but "if there was only one rabbit in the world, you can bet rabbit sh*t would be more valuable than diamonds".

I love my meteorites and feel fortunate to have been able to afford what I have at all. Whether they do it for fame, glory, recognition, fun or profit, they provide the market with unique material in sizes and prices that are affordable whatever your budget. AND they provide science with material that they wouldn't have the money to collect themselves with the limited resources they get from the public purse.
I don't begrudge the guys who go out there and collect the stuff for trying to recoup some of their losses and let's be honest, many do make losses and there is no guarantee they'll find enough material to cover their expenses.

If you really, REALLY must have some right now, you're going to have to pay the price. There are lots of other people who just can't wait, either.

As Mike put it, you do have the right not to buy.

Rob McC